Friday, November 13, 2009

A student blogger in Mar and Korina's wedding

Posted by Kevin Ray N. Chua on 4:12:00 PM 0 comments

When I was contacted by Bon Moya, one of Senator Mar Roxas’ staff, last Tuesday and asked for my home address, I was wondering why. Then, I came to realize that Senator Roxas and Korina Sanchez' wedding will be by October 27 and probably, I am in the list of the invited guests.

I knew it! I got the invitation last October 22, together with my PIN from Google Adsense.

I flew by plane to Manila in the morning and arrived around 11 AM. I met surprisingly UC President and fellow NoyMar supporter Augusto Go in the airport. I asked him what he is doing in Manila and ended up knowing that we were on the same itinerary too: attending the Mar-Korina wedding. I went straight to Santo Domingo Church in Quezon City where the wedding will be held. It was quite traffic though I was able to reach the church past noon. The security was strict, and I applaud them for that, although it was quite hassle for me. When I arrived in the church, I was confused on what to do. There was still a mass going on and the people I knew were still not yet there. So, I kept roaming around the church and met some ordinary people who want to witness the wedding in the projector outside the church.


One of my friends, Atty. Rissa Ofilada, called me and asked where I was. She treated me for lunch as we keep waiting for 3 PM. We had to go to the left entrance dedicated for the guests and searched for our names from the list. I only RSVP the day before the wedding that’s why my name wasn’t included. Thanks to a Senate staffer who knew me and got me a seat in the church’s pew. After that, we proceeded to the church. I was holding a yellow card for pews somewhere in the middle row of the church. Though, we only notice after the wedding, that we were seated on the red card pews where local government officials were also seated because Atty. Eugene Kaw and Reg Unson of Senator Mar Roxas’ staff were there. Beside us was Rizal Governor Jun Ynares, his wife and the women reporters of GMA 7 and UNTV. In front of us was Palawan Governor Joel Reyes.

A lot of who’s who in the world of politics, showbiz and news were there. I can’t keep turning my head to anywhere it leads because there’s just too much of them. I was able to spot from Cebu, Congressman Tony Cuenco, Cebu City Mayor Tommy Osmeña and his wife Margot, Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes to name a few. ABS-CBN people were also there with Director Johnny Manahan leading the coverage of the event.



Beside the church garden, I was able to meet some of the people that will be gracing the wedding and also, the man of that hour, Mar Roxas. I approached him after he was talking with Noynoy Aquino. I told him, “Thanks for the invitation Senator! Wishing you all the best in your wedding.” He replied, “Thank you for being here too. I appreciate it.” Senator Mar and I seldom talk personally when I can meet him, but this one was quite memorable because it was a countdown to his bachelor days. A few hours from that moment, he’ll be joining his entire life with Korina.

The wedding was scheduled to start at 3 PM, but because Korina still visited the grave of her parents, it started at 4 PM. When it finally started, the mood was like in a movie. Everyone was thrilled on what will be happening, like it was their first time to see a wedding. When the doors opened and Korina made the entrance, everybody applauded her and Mar was quite teary-eyed. He might be thinking that finally, the woman of her dreams will be his forever.

It was quite a different wedding but still, it remained solemn. As the ceremonies went by, I can’t help but lament on the moments that I will be missing because I wasn’t able to bring a digicam. But thanks to Atty. Ofilada, she was able to get me some pictures during the wedding.


After the wedding, everyone stood up and gave their biggest applause for the new husband and wife, Mar and Korina. I also took the opportunity to meet some people whom I only get in touch with Facebook like LP bigwigs Butch Abad and Chito Gascon, fellow Mar supporter John Javier, blogger Manuel Quezon III, ABS-CBN reporters Ina Reformina and Gretchen Malalad, and others.

Indeed, this was the wedding of the year. I’m proud to be attending the event as a student of Cebu Institute of Technology, as a blogger and as a supporter. Only a few can have this chance to attend a wedding of the year, and I was able to make it.

To Mar and Korina, my best wishes to you!



0 Responses so far:

Leave a Reply