Monday, January 18, 2010

45 random thoughts on my Sinulog 2010 experience

Posted by Kevin Ray N. Chua on 9:40:00 PM 3 comments

Whew! I was able to experience once again the Philippine's grandest festival, Sinulog, now on its 30th year. As a Cebuano, it's something that I'm proud of. The strong faith combined the joyful atmosphere of the people, despite the tug-of-war of the weather didn't stop them from participating in the festival. Instead of blogging detail-by-detail on what I experienced yesterday, I'm listing my random thoughts on this. Short and simple.
    Photo courtesy of Alvin Asayas Photography
  1. Complete backpack with water, cap, extra shirt and towel (Dora the Explorer is far off better than me doing this one).
  2. Jeepney shortage and if there's one, it's full.
  3. Disembarked from the jeepney in Gaisano Capital South and walked through E Mall.
  4. Got super stuck walking just from ACT Mall to DBP.
  5. When you get stuck in the crowd, you just need to go with the flow or else.
  6. Didn't care of who touched my back in the crowd.
  7. My shoes got stepped on several times in the crowd.
  8. Common shoutout during crowded moments "Hinay lang kay nay bata (Just slow down because there's a child)."
  9. The cordon was quite lax but still, I was able to ask permission to cross the street.
  10. Kept on holding my pocket to be sure that no one other than me can hold it.
  11. Some people are just insensitive in the crowd even if it goes into a stampede.
  12. The crowd flow gets into a halt when they hear or see something making you stand in the very super too much compressed situation for a lot of time.
  13. Fans and caps/visors are just a commodity during events like this.
  14. Lovebirds almost all around in the area.
  15. The weather was quite tricky as early morning was wet, morning to early afternoon was hot, late afternoon was wet again and evening was stable.
  16. The roads were just full of people and of garbage too.
  17. Some yellow railings went down.
  18. There are those idiot ice cream-selling people with a familiar music positioning on the center of the road and insensitive to the flow of the crowd and transportation.
  19. Drinking people on the streets plus dancing people too.
  20. The floats were just amazing hoping that every year, it gets better.
  21. Met with my Cebu Bloggers Society pipz in Acha Pizzeria for the 88DB.Com booth.
  22. Saw Gabriela Rep. Liza Maza walking like an ordinary citizen.
  23. Saw also Will Devaughn with Byron Garcia.
  24. CIT friends Kim, Rahima, Artemio, Joshua, Winston & Israel were there.
  25. Sheesh! Cebu Governor Gwen Garcia has a lot of energy in dancing even if it rains.
  26. Heard a person in the crowd that Glenn Soco looks like Paul Jake of PBB Double Up.
  27. My shoes gets dirty again, Part II.
  28. Wow! Robinsons is still on aircon but it feels like I'm inside the oven and the people inside are as usual sitting on the corners.
  29. Emergency teams goes back and forth and having a hard time appealing to the crowd to disperse to give way for the patient.
  30. Food and water prices dramatically went down and sellers are even persuading to the max the customers.
  31. Barbecue grills almost all in the corners and also food stands.
  32. Lot of foreigners too!
  33. People can't stop camwhoring but you just can't blame it.
  34. Braved the rain by walking from Gorordo Avenue to Fuente Osmeña.
  35. Woot! I was surprised to see Cosplay pipz during the Sinulog.
  36. Sinulog music was very prevalent during that day.
  37. Reminisced the moment when I was also part of the Sinulog dancing participants who danced through the long route for the crowd and in the Cebu City Sports Complex (I can never forget that experience).
  38. Asked myself on the possibility of a bomb threat would happened, even if it was just a joke.
  39. Can't help but mix with the crowd when there's a celebrity.
  40. Fuente Osmeña was full of people camping, eating and just sitting around.
  41. Met with my high school buddies Judy Alden, Jul Danreb, Pamela, James Dien, Gioann, Pamela, Micah, Ivy Ross, Angelica and Jessiel to watch the late but worth it Ayala Center Cebu fireworks display.
  42. Saw my college pipz Jandale, Xiao Xiao, Chang, Amabelle, Juli Flor, Loila Lyn, Rene Jay, Lanilen, John Henry and Jellyve.
  43. My knees and my feet were in the state of deterioration after walking several kilometers and somewhat doing our own version of the death march.
  44. Got home around 1 AM.
  45. Told myself to attend Sinulog 2011 too.



3 Responses so far:

Photoblogger said...

I love random thought number 45

Kristine said...

Oh and it wouldn't be Sinulog if you didn't experience all of these. :)

Kyle Emmanuel said...

# 46. Did you see a drunk american holding paypays and a drunk ganja indian dancing on the street ?

Leave a Reply